Thursday, 28 April 2011

Maccas shenanigans

So yeah, I still work at McDonald's. As Rebecca Black would put it, 'fun, fun, fun'. Now, people don't really give Maccas workers all the credit that is due. It's not a particularly challenging job, but it does take a lot from you. Depending on how many hours you are working, it can be fairly exhausting, and the inane repetition gets old very quickly. So, in order to amuse myself, I have come up with a few little things to do at work.

1. Pointlessly flirt with unassuming co-workers.
New Zealand is a great country, but it suffers from one crucial issue: jailbait. Where I come from, people mostly look their age. A 16 year old looks like a kid, a 19 year old looks twinky, a 25 year old looks ready for business and a 40 year looks just sad. You know, how things are supposed to be. New Zealand people, however, do not apply. I work with a fair amount of 17~19 year olds, and as creepy as it sounds, they're pretty damn hot. So whenever I'm bored (which is fairly often) and one of them is around, I practice my flirting techniques. Nothing too out there (specially cause pretty much all of them are straight), just small things, like giving them a coy smile from across the restaurant, giggling at their stupid jokes or bending to get something from the cupboard and giving them a view of the good china.
Yeah, I'm a perv. Sue me.

2. Guessing what people are gonna order.
That's one I got down to a fine art. People are surprisingly transparent when it comes to their fast-food preferences. For example: kids up to 9~11 years old will always get a Happy Meal; Old people always get either a white coffee or a white tea, and if I don't give them a tray, they will always ask for one; teenagers add mayo to everything; when a family comes to order the father will always ignore my existence and tell his wife what he wants. She then proceeds to tell me he wants a large combo with an extra burger on the side (usually a Filet), her kids will either get Happy Meals or normal combos (with mayo added to the burgers) and she'll get either a wrap or a medium McChicken combo with Diet Coke.
Apart from what I learned from working there for so long, quite usually I'll be serving them and just guess what drink they want before they ask for it. I'm kind of a fast-food psychic.

3. Dance.
A recent one. Whenever I'm working out back making the burgers, if there's nothing to do and no one to talk to, I'll just start getting down and dirty next to the grills. Me and my friend Denim will every now and then have some good 5 minutes of move busting before one of the managers comes to tell us off.

Y'know, as much as I bitch about it, I actually like my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment